The benefits of volunteering
Volunteering should not be a one-way experience. The department supports the concept that volunteers should benefit and from the collaboration and meet their own personal goals and objectives.
We provide support, induction courses and on-going training to ensure all our volunteers are aware of policy and practices and the areas of the justice system we are responsible for.
A recent survey with our DCS Volunteers asked ‘why do you volunteer to help us’.
Some of the responses included:
- the opportunity to contribute to society supporting both offenders and staff
- to assist offenders change their live
- to meet a diverse range of people
- to utilise existing skills, and
- to gain personal satisfaction.
We also have an events team that plan some great get-togethers for all our volunteers.