Research challenges us to think about our current business practices and processes. It asks us to query if our established methods are up to date and relevant
Our research and reform initiatives
Changing our established thinking and practices
Research challenges us to think about our current business practices and processes. It asks us to query if our established methods are up to date and relevant or is there a better way.
Research also enables us to look at how we approach our correctional services and correctional services in other jurisdictions across the globe.
It leads to new initiatives and reform but it must be systematic, able to view all departments and aligned to our priorities.
The department is seeking to pursue a broad and systematic approach to implementation of research and evaluation to ensure alignment to organisational strategic priorities.
This approach will yield findings useful at both policy and operational levels as well as complementing efforts more broadly across the wider Justice system both locally and nationally.
A body of knowledge
By building an evidence-based body of knowledge the department is in a better position to support internal decision making as well as implement policy and practice.
This more effectively enables the organisation to meet its statutory responsibilities. Robust research and evaluation data will enable the organisation to draw more readily upon findings, integrate these into policy development and program design to improve and inform both system and practice.
Research goals and objectives
Our goals and objectives are:
- to help to describe, explain and sometimes predict events or trends
- generate findings that can be used to influence decision-makers and lead correctional practice
- guide and maximise resource investment
- evaluate the effectiveness of policy, projects, programs and services
- inform the design and development of future policy, projects, programs and services
- proactively trial and evaluate innovation in key aspects of service delivery
- inform practice and support review, reflection and continuous improvement, and
- establish an organisational culture that supports and promotes staff engagement in research and evaluation activities.