Our research priorities
DCS actively supports and encourages external research into issues of operational relevance. The role of external research is to enhance the ability of DCS to achieve the goals established through the Strategic Plan, Business Plan, Reducing Reoffending: 10% by 2020’ Strategy, whilst upholding and promoting the Service Principles – Shaping Corrections.
Research and evaluation agenda
The Department for Correctional Services (DCS) research priorities were developed via an extensive internal consultation process and a review of recent literature on correctional issues.
In line with South Australia’s Strategic Priorities and complemented by the department’s own Strategic Plan, the Research Agenda 2019-22 aims to significantly contribute in directing specific approaches for the management and rehabilitation of Correction’s prisoner and offender populations. It will, in turn, also contribute to the broader research community and through greater collaboration with partners - aid in identifying areas of research that can most benefit and build on existing evidence and correctional knowledge base.
The department’s strategic planning and management cycle provides a driver and organising framework for prioritising DCS’s research priorities and is built around three key themes:
- Th.1 Managing and Rehabilitating Offenders
- Th.2 Productivity and Performance (capability)
- Th.3 Innovation, Leadership and Engagement
- Download: Research and Evaluation Agenda 2019-2022 (2.3 MB PDF)
- Download: Research and Evaluation Framework.pdf (759.4 KB PDF)
- Download: Research and Evaluation Management Committee TOR.pdf (448.1 KB PDF)
- Download: REMC Information Package for Applicants (201.2 KB PDF)
- Download: Appendix A - Expression of Interest Form (47.5 KB DOC)