Correctional Officer recruitment process
Would you make a good Correctional Officer?
When to apply
We are continuously recruiting Correctional Officers throughout the year and specific posts are not advertised.
You can apply now and there is not a closing date.
Throughout the year we hold recruitment drives and promotional events across South Australia to encourage applicants.
- be 18 years or older
- have a current SA Driver's licence
- be an Australian Citizen or have a Permanent Resident Visa
- pass a satisfactory National Criminal History Check
- have background and employer references
- Pre-Employment test results conducted by TAFE SA
There are several stages to the selection process which include - but are not limited to:
- psychometric assessments
- probity and integrity checks
- medical and fitness assessments.
After successfully being offered a position the new recruit will begin a 14 week training course.
This comprises an initial eight weeks of classroom based training followed by a four week period of in-service training within a prison environment.
A further two weeks of classroom-based training will be conducted prior to the end of the 12 month probationary period.
Correctional Officers can be placed at any of our institutions.
Applicants can indicate an order of preference in their application form.
Every effort will be made to accommodate the first choice but is based upon the department's operational requirements.
Sending in your application
All sections of the application form must be completed before your application can be processed.
We encourage you to include a current resumé with your application.
We will acknowledge your application as soon as possible however please allow at least three weeks.
It may take two to three months before you are contacted regarding the next stages of screening and testing.
Please ensure you keep us up-to-date with any changes to your contact details.
- Download: Correctional Officers Information Sheet (260.0 KB PDF)
- Download: Correctional Officer Application Pack (502.7 KB PDF)
- Download: Correctional Officer - Generic Job and Person description (250.3 KB PDF)
- Download: Code of Ethics for the South Australian Public Sector.pdf (608.9 KB PDF)
- Download: Pre-employment declaration for the Department for Correctional Services (249.5 KB PDF)
- Download: DCS Strategic Plan 2022-2026.pdf (484.3 KB PDF)