In May 2020, we released the Department’s COVID-19 transition plan A New Way Forward - The New ‘Business as Usual for DCS.
A New Way Forward is a strategic framework that will enable the Department to make transparent decisions based on a defined set of principles and utilising a risk management approach.
Following a comprehensive risk assessment process, the Department has endorsed priority one and two focus lists of key DCS business activities slated to recommence in June 2020.
The following Priority One activities have recommenced from 15 June 2020:
- Aboriginal Services Unit Programs
- Rehabilitation Programs Branch programs
- Sentence Management Unit undertaking HRAT and other assessments
- Offender Drug and Alcohol testing across Community Corrections and prisons
- Offender Community Service / Repay SA
- Prisoner Community Work Programs at Adelaide Pre-release Centre and Cadell Training Centre
- Better Prisons Program – Yatala Labour Prison and Port Augusta Prison benchmarking
- Cadell Pumphouse – reopening in accordance with community restrictions.
The following Priority Two activities have recommenced from 29 June 2020:
- Engagement activities around the Women Offenders Action Plan
- SMU face to face IDP Assessments
- Home Detention Committee processes
- S68 Parolee Restrictions
- Visiting Inspectors/Tribunals
- Vocational training
- Country Fire Service from CTC
- Community Corrections - Intake process
- Community Corrections - Face to face reporting for Assist and Monitor tier
- Community Corrections - Home visits for Assist and Monitor tier
- Community Corrections - Reflective Practice.
From 13 July 2020, Priority Three activities will commence. This will include a modified domestic and professional visitors program at all prison locations.
The Department will continue to take a cautious and considered approach to the further easing of restrictions in line with identified risks and will act with ongoing vigilance to maintain COVID-19 free operations.
I look forward to continue to provide regular updates on A New Way Forward. In the meantime, if you have any questions or require further information, please email DCSCOVID19Response@sa.gov.au.
Acting Chief Executive DCS
You can download this news item: A New Way Forward - Recommencement of Activities and Programs