Support provided

If you are a victim you are entitled to receive information and services about the crime and the person who committed the crime. Confidentiality provisions within the law prevent a lot of this information from being released to the public.

To receive this service you will need to be on the Victims’ Register.

The victims' register is voluntary and not an automatic process.

Information when the person is in prison

If you are on the Victims’ Register you can get information on:

  • sentence details in relation to imprisonment and community based orders
  • which prison the prisoner is accommodated in
  • any escape from custody and
  • when and under what circumstances a prisoner is eligible for release from custody.

Information when the person is eligible for parole

If you are on the Victims’ Register we can help you prepare your information for the Parole Board

  • offer consultation about “no contact” conditions and exclusion zones
  • take action to prevent offenders living close to victims and
  • discuss how to make a written submission to the Parole Board.

Information when the offender is under community supervision

If the offender is on probation, parole, community service or home detention and you are on the Victims’ Register you can get information about

  • sentence details in relation to community based orders
  • the successfully completion of community based orders and details on any imprisonment or return to custody during the order or
  • parole and home detention conditions relevant to the victim.

We will also be a point of contact – so that you can express your concerns and seek advice about

  • counselling and other services and supports available to victims
  • how to get Criminal Injuries Compensation
  • Intervention Orders and how to obtain one

Criminal Injury Compensation

We have no involvement with Criminal Injury Compensation matters.

For information about compensation for criminal injury you can contact

Further advice

You can contact the Victim Services Unit for further advice.

Telephone 08 8226 9704

Related Information

Correctional Services Act 1982 Insert New Container