How we do it
DCS employs over 2000 staff who contribute to the management of prisoners and offenders in the state’s nine prisons, 16 community correctional centres and the department’s central office.
There are nine prisons located across metropolitan and regional South Australia.
- Yatala Labour Prison (YLP)
- Adelaide Women’s Prison (AWP)
- Adelaide Pre-Release Centre (APC)
- Adelaide Remand Centre (ARC)
- Mobilong Prison (MOB)
- Port Augusta Prison (PAP)
- Port Lincoln Prison (PLP)
- Cadell Training Centre (CTC)
- Mount Gambier Prison (MGP)
The four specialist prisons (AWP, APC, PLP and CTC) are intentionally combined within the Community Corrections portfolio to ensure an increased focus on prisoner reintegration upon release from prison into the community setting.
The aim is to create synergies between custodial and community services within the department particularly for those prisoners at the end of their sentences.
Community Correctional Centres
There are 16 community correctional centres which are located throughout the state.
Community Corrections manages the supervision and monitoring of offenders in the community who are placed on:
- home detention
- intensive Bail Supervision (Home Detention Bail)
- community Service Orders (Repay SA)
Community Corrections also provides information to the courts and the Parole Board to assist with sentencing and/or the setting of the conditions of bonds and other orders.
Prisoner profiles – statistics and figures
The department’s Annual Reports and Performance Summaries hold comprehensive information and statistics about the department and its activities.
To compare nationally, the Report on Government Services, released annually includes a comparison of services provided by correctional jurisdictions throughout Australia.
There are two sections of the report that are relevant to Correctional Services:
- Volume C of the report (Justice) contains information that relates to re-offending rates and the general interaction of the justice system and
- Chapter 8 of the Report deals specifically with Corrective Services and includes information against a number of performance indicators.
For further information on the department, go to Reports and Publications.
Privately managed prisons in South Australia
Mount Gambier Prison is the only privately managed prison in South Australia.
It has been managed and operated by G4S Custodial Services Pty Ltd (G4S) [link to partners page G4S] since opening in 1995.